Saturday, April 7, 2012

Coconut Lime Sugar Cookies

When I first got on this baking kick a few years ago, I started with cookies. I made all kinds of cookies all the time. Eventually I branched out into cupcakes and cakes, but I still like a good cookie recipe. I came across this one a few weeks ago and thought it sounded really good. In honor of summer coming and this being Easter weekend, I thought they were a perfect choice to make today. They are nice and light and remind me of summer.

PS you will be tempted to sing the lime and the coconut song, which I did all morning before I started baking. I put the radio while actually baking ;)

Ingredients:
* 2 3/4 Cups Flour
* 1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
* 1/2 Teaspoon Baking Powder
* 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
* 1 Cup Butter
* 1 1/2 Cup Sugar
* 1 Egg
* 1/2 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
* Zest of One Large Lime
* 3 Tablespoon Lime Juice
* 1/2 Cup Toasted Coconut
* 1/2 Cup Sugar (separate from 1 1/2 Cup already in ingredients list)

***For some reason my grocery store only had small limes, so I bought 2 and it seemed to be an ok amount.***

* Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

* To toast coconut, line a baking sheet with parchment paper and layer coconut.

* Bake in preheated oven for about 5 minutes.


* Zest the Lime.

* Then juice the  Lime.
***Its way easier to zest the Lime before juicing it.***

* Sift together the Flour, Baking Soda, Baking Powder, and Salt. Set aside.

* In the bowl of your mixer, beat together Sugar (1 1/2 Cups) and Butter until smooth and fluffy.

* Add Egg, Vanilla Extract, Lime Zest, and Lime Juice.

* Mix in about half of the Flour Mixture

* Followed by the Coconut

* And then the rest of the Flour Mixture

* Roll rounded spoonfuls of dough in a bowl of sugar (1/2 Cup).

*** A friend showed me the trick of using an ice cream scooper to scoop cookie dough. Its the best idea ever! I looked around for awhile before I found this one, I think I got it at Bed Bath and Beyond.***

* Bake 8-10 minutes.
***The first batch came out a little soft and doughy (which is fine because I like it like that) so the second batch I left in for about 15 minutes. So I would say more like 10 - 15 minutes depending on your oven and how soft or crispy you like your cookies***





Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment