Sunday, May 6, 2012

Irish Car Bomb Cupcakes

Another addition to the adults only cupcake line. I am going to a BBQ today at a friends house and thought it would be nice to make something to bring. I had told my friends husband I would make him beer cupcakes after I had made the wine cupcakes a few months ago. So I searched around and came across this recipe and thought it would be perfect! I know that these would probably be a little more appropriate for St Patricks Day than the day after Cinco de Mayo, but really is there ever a wrong time for cocktail cupcakes?

***Side note, the first (and only time) I have ever had an actual Irish Car Bomb (the shot) was in Ireland for these same friends wedding. We made Irish Car Bombs on St Patricks Day. Good times!!***

Cupcake Ingredients:
* 1/2 Cup Guinness Stout
* 1/2 Cup Butter
* 6 Tablespoons Cocoa Powder
* 1 Cup Flour
* 1 Cup Sugar
* 3/4 Teaspoons Baking Soda
* 1/4 + 1/8 Teaspoon Salt
* 1 Egg
* 1/3 Cup Sour Cream

* Preheat oven to 350 Degrees F. Line muffin pan with liners.
***Since I am making Irish Car Bombs, I went with the shamrock cupcake liners.***

***Had to show off that I used my bottle opener that I got in Ireland!***

* In a medium saucepan over medium heat, bring Guinness and Butter to a simmer.

* Add Cocoa Powder and whisk until smooth. 

* Remove from heat and let cool slightly. 

* In a bowl, whisk together the Flour, Sugar, Baking Soda, and Salt. Set aside. 

* In the bowl of your mixer, beat the Egg and Sour Cream until combined. 

* Slowly add the Guinness Chocolate Mix and stir to combine. 

* Add Flour Mix and stir until combined. 

* Divide between cupcake liners. 


* Bake for approx. 20 minutes. 

* Remove from pan and let cool on wire rack. 

Jameson Chocolate Ganache Filling Ingredients:
* 4 Ounces Bittersweet Chocolate
* 1/3 Cup Heavy Cream
* 1 Tablespoon Butter
* 1 1/2 Teaspoons Jameson Irish Whiskey

***I went to BevMo and found that they had the little mini bottles of all kinds of alcohol. These are a lot better and cheaper if you are just using the alcohol to bake with. I knew I wouldn't really drink a big bottle of whiskey. So I saved myself a ton of money by getting the little airplane size.***

* Finely chop the Chocolate and place in a heat proof bowl.

* In a small sauce pan heat the cream until simmering. 

* Pour over chocolate. 

* Let sit for a few minutes then stir  until smooth. 

* Add Butter and Jameson and stir until combined.

* Set aside. Let cool while you make frosting. 

Baileys Buttercream Frosting Ingredients:
* 1 Cup Butter
* 2 1/2 Cups Powdered Sugar
* 3 Tablespoon Baileys Irish Cream

* In the bowl of your mixer beat the Butter. 

* Slowly add the Powdered Sugar and continue to beat.

* Add the Baileys.

* Continue to beat until it looks whipped and fluffy.

* At this point the cupcakes and the ganache should hopefully be cool enough to fill. 

* Using a knife, cut a cone shape into the top of the cupcake. Do not go all the way down. 

***I saw a Cupcake Corer at Bed Bath and Beyond and now I really wish I had bough it. It would have worked well for these cupcakes I think.***


* Fill the cupcakes with the ganache. 

***I probably could have cut a little deeper, but I was afraid of going too far. I had some ganache leftover. Oh well, next time.***

Decorating:




***I thought Chocolate Sprinkles would be perfect for these!***




* Enjoy!!!







No comments:

Post a Comment